Wednesday, February 25

my new technique...

at iowa state, my ceramics professor said, "i think it's my responsibility professionally to my career as a teacher that i work in the studio every day."





as an art teacher, it's often expected that i have my own studio and have time to work on my own creations.  unfortunately, that is untrue- imagine the dust and fumes that would consume my home. with two small children (colin, 3 and tyler, 2) i hardly find time for myself.  during the school year, i complete demonstrations for my ceramics classes.  the items i throw are often neglected and become too dry before i can attach and handle or trim a foot.

earlier in the school, i discovered a ceramic sculptor by the name of mark gordon.  he creates works with a specially formulated "ceramic mortar" to join together bone dry pieces.  i adapted the recipe to fit the kind of clay we use in room 46.   and now i present, the fun stuff!

1 comment: